Eating well is a relevant factor for a healthy life, regardless of age! We must be concerned, from an early age, with the quality of our food. Here are important healthy eating tips for the elderly . Enjoy!
Over the years, our body begins to show some signs that we are aging. This is part of the natural cycle of life. But aging healthy is essential! Some of the healthy eating tips for the elderly are paramount and serve not only for the elderly, but for everyone to have a good diet.
Due to the decrease in metabolism, changes in hormonal functions and decrease in the pace of physical activities, it is necessary to pay special attention to the diet and follow some tips for a healthy life .
In reality, care with what to do to have a healthy diet should be started in childhood. We have to worry about quality food for our children. This will be reflected when they reach adulthood and also in old age.
At this stage of life, our senses no longer correspond as before. Our body no longer reacts the same way. Our taste buds also change. Each organism reacts differently . Therefore, it is important that we pay attention to these signs.
Nutritional risk in old age contributes to physical disability, physical inactivity and, more precisely, malnutrition. Establishing healthy routines will bring health benefits to the elderly.
Establishing habits: healthy eating tips for the elderly
1. Involve the elderly in the choice of food
First of all, it is necessary to involve the elderly in the preparation of their food . Involve them in planning, purchasing and preparing. This will make them feel useful and important.
Observe what they like most, check if there is a lack of some vitamin between foods and, if possible, replace it with another that contains that same vitamin.
Preparing a special menu with the specific nutritional needs of this age group will make them go through this phase in a healthier and happier way. This is one of the best healthy eating tips for seniors!
2. Have a schedule routine
Maintaining a feeding schedule routine is also necessary. It is important to remember that in this phase the elderly person acquires some “crazes”, among them the question of schedules.
3. Place of feeding
A pleasant, clean, airy, well-lit place, in the company of family or friends, will make the elderly eat more pleasurably, favoring appetite and maintaining social life.
Another of the healthy eating tips for the elderly that is quite important!
4. Chew well and calmly
Chewing stimulates the production of saliva and will make the food well crushed and moist , avoiding gagging.
It also helps to reduce the feeling of hunger, in the case of elderly people who need to reduce the amount of food eaten.
5. Include good fats and cereals on the menu
Good fats strengthen the heart, preventing cardiovascular disease and guaranteeing the strengthening of the central nervous system, benefiting memory and concentration.
This type of fat is found in:
- olive oil;
- seeds etc.
6. Decrease the use of salt in the diet of the elderly
Replace with seasonings, herbs and spices. Green scent, onion, garlic, basil, oregano, coriander and rosemary are great options. This will avoid:
- unnecessary bumps;
- cardiovascular diseases;
- kidney disease.
This is one of the most important healthy eating tips for seniors!
7. Prevent the elderly from using soft drinks
In addition to soft drinks, also avoid industrialized juices and sweets in general. Replace with natural juices, preferably made at the exact moment of consumption, natural water and fruits . Keeping the body hydrated is essential for the elderly.
8. Decrease consumption of processed foods
Among them as stuffed cookies, instant noodles, ready-made spices, sausages, treats and snacks. They contain high levels of sugar, fat and salt.
9. Always prefer natural foods
Preferably try to cook at home. This will make a huge difference in your pocket and your health as you will be eating less processed and doubtful foods!
10. Fruits, vegetables and greens
It is essential to include fruits and vegetables in the diet of the elderly. In addition to being rich in vitamins, minerals and fiber, they decrease the risk of various diseases and assist intestinal function.
11. Choose good proteins
Include lean meats, poultry, fish, eggs, milk and dairy products in a daily meal. They help in strengthening bones and are rich in proteins and minerals.
Essential nutrients for healthy living in old age
- Vitamin B12 : it is essential to keep the nervous system healthy and ensure good health for the muscles. Good sources: liver, milk, meat and egg.
- Vitamin D : helps with metabolism and calcium absorption. It is important in the prevention of diseases and bone strengthening for the elderly. It is present in milk, liver, egg yolk, salmon, sardines, seafood, tuna and barley. It is also recommended that the elderly stay at least 15 minutes, with their arms and legs exposed to sunlight.
- Calcium : It acts in the prevention of osteoporosis and in keeping the teeth, bones and muscles of the elderly healthy, in addition to keeping the brain active. Calcium stimulates blood circulation and, together with vitamin K, helps in blood clotting. We can find in milk and dairy products, in addition to cabbage, mustard leaves, broccoli, watercress, spinach, oats, sweet potatoes, almonds, among others.
- Potassium : Very important for cardiac function, in the contraction of skeletal muscles, also helping with digestion. Found in bananas, avocado, salmon, cod, beans, citrus juices (orange and lemon).
- Iron : responsible for energy supply and hemoglobin formation. Iron deficiency can cause anemia in the elderly. In egg yolk, legumes, dark green vegetables, cherries and meat in general.
Easy recipes to make and consume for the elderly
After our healthy eating tips for the elderly, how about writing down some recipes for the day to day?
Make the rice normally. Take 1 carrot, some pods and ½ peppers and cut everything into very small pieces.
Sauté in olive oil and mix with rice. If you prefer, use organic brown rice. It looks beautiful, healthy and tasty. If you want, sprinkle freshly grated cheese on top.
- 1 and ½ envelope of colorless and tasteless powdered gelatin
- 1 liter of organic juice of your choice
- ½ lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons of black raisin
Way of preparing:
- Dissolve the gelatin as instructed on the packaging.
- Mix fruit juice, lemon juice and dissolved gelatin.
- Add the raisins and place in individual molds.
- Refrigerate until firm.
- 2 organic and ripe corn cobs
- 2 tablespoons of organic sugar or grated rapadura
- 1 pinch of sea salt
- Cloves and cinnamon to taste
- Fresh milk to taste
Way of preparing:
- Peel the corn;
- remove the grains;
- beat in a blender with water;
- pass through the sieve.
- add cloves, cinnamon, sugar and a pinch of salt;
- take to the fire.
When it thickens, pour milk until it reaches the preferred consistency.
- 200g of wheat, 2 onions, 4 tomatoes
- 1 bunch of chopped parsley
- 3 chopped mint branches
- Juice of two lemons
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and spices to taste
Way of preparing:
- Put the wheat in cold water and leave for 2 hours and drain;
- Chop the onions and small diced tomatoes;
- Mix with the wheat, add parsley, mint, lemon juice and olive oil.
- Season to taste and leave in a cool place to get taste.
- ½ kg of ground meat
- 1 small chopped onion
- Chopped parsley
- Seasonings, salt to taste
- 1 egg, oil for frying
Way of preparing:
Mix all the ingredients well and make small flattened meatballs. Put the oil in a frying pan and fry the meatballs browning well. Drain well on paper towels.
Start your preparation
These were some of the healthy eating tips for the elderly. In addition to food, it is recommended that the elderly practice at least 30 minutes of daily physical activity and avoid alcoholic beverages and smoking.
Another valuable tip is to follow up with a geriatrician annually, or when necessary.
Some routine exams for the elderly are essential to ensure that food and exercise are keeping up with health. In addition, some health problems happen naturally with age and need to be monitored.
With your doctor’s exam request in hand, access the Eigier Diagnósticos website and get to know our clinical structure for diagnostic imaging tests and laboratory tests. You can pre-schedule your exam online from the comfort of your home.
We have been in the market for more than 37 years and are responsible for the control of specialized companies that work in diagnostic imaging medicine.
Check out some of the exams available in our unit:
- Magnetic resonance imaging;
- Bone densitometry;
- Digital mammography;
- Digital X-ray;
- Fetal medicine, among others.
Schedule your time today and have the best care and care for your health.